The gravesite photo was provided by Bruce Andersen.
Information on the location was provided by the Philadelphia-Continental Chapter SAR.
Photo taken at 2:30 p.m. on August 12, 2004
Burial Site: Mikveh Israel Cemetery
Global position location: Latitude: 39.9464° N, Longitude:
Location at Cemetery: Grave ????
Directions to cemetery: Spruce Street between Eighth and Ninth Streets. Arrangements to visit the cemetery can be made by calling the Mikveh Israel Synagogue at (215) 922-5446.
Information on Cemetery:
The Mikveh Israel Cemetery is the oldest Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia. It was established as a private burial ground in 1738 by Nathan Levy on land granted to him by the Penn family. In 1774 it was deeded to the Mikveh Israel Synagogue, the only Jewish house of worship that continued to function in the colonies during the Revolution.
The cemetery was added to Independence National Historical Park by Public
Law 84-1009 on August 6, 1956. While adding the cemetery to the park, the
law specifically precludes the United States Government from assuming any
responsibility to provide for the administration, care or maintenance of
the cemetery. This responsibility rests with the Mikveh Israel Synagogue
Family History: Unknown